Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 5

THE 7:54 MOMENT: Phew, spent the day thinking of every recipe I had and how I could tweak it to be glut free, meat free and mostly dairy free. This is hard work. I feel exhausted.


To eat this way  you have to be super organised and planned and this is tiring. I am also feeling a lot of pressure because I am blogging about our meals. I feel I have to come up with fresh ideas for each meal time - Yikes!!! The good news is that repetition is ok. Eating the same stuff, that works and is yummy is perfectly fine and normal. Repetition, It's like a breath of fresh air - who knew. Get ready for some repetition.

Have had no luck with a bread substitute however I cooked an apple loaf for breakfast made on glut free flour and both my girls scoffed it up, that is a win in my book. I can make it with banana apricot, pears, spice, herbs...and on, my recipe still needs tweaking but I will post it when I get it perfect-ish.
I also brought some 'Mountain Bread Wraps' made on cornflower (70%) and with a touch of wheat. I needed to take the stress out of lunch times. - I did look for the glut free variety but they had none, I will look again. 
But this is exactly why I am blogging about our experience because I want it to be real. When your a busy mum sometimes you have to settle for the 'not so perfect'. So I am taking the good (70%) with the imperfect on this one, it will be OK, it's still healthy. - As long as we don't gorge on them everyday. These wraps are affordable, make for an easy lunch and fit my busy schedule rather then me try and make wrap breads from scratch everyday that just taste chomppy.

...Oh and as I type this right now I would give anything to have a coke....sigh - sugar you leave me hurting.


Exercise: 20min of 'tready' and bike riding in the 'rec' room with hubby.

Breakfast: Apple loaf, needs a bit of tweaking but I finally feel we are on the right road with breakfast. Fresh juice and warm apple and pineapple.

Lunch: Saffron, Corn and Potato soup. Soups are very yummy and filling and suit this type of food plan.

Afternoon Tea: Greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey.

Dinner: Rice and Curry. Was ok, need to work on the curry flavors.

Here is our lunchtime soup recipe!

RECIPE:
Saffron, Corn and Potato Soup.

3 cubed medium potatoes
1 cup baby corn kernels
1 medium diced onion
saffron
1 crushed garlic
1 tsp sugar
4 cup of chicken stock
Parsley
Salt to taste.

Steam potatoes for 5min in steamer.
Heat 1 tbs olive oil in saucepan and add onion and garlic, cook for 2min. Add in a pinch of saffron and cook for 1 min.  Add the chicken stock and sugar, bring to just boiling. Reduce heat to simmer and add the corn, cubed potato, and salt to taste. Cook for 15 minutes or until potato is tender. Add parsley and serve.
Copyright Elizabeth Findlay 2010

See you tmrw. xx



No comments:

Post a Comment